Salad Envy puts the earth first from the food we serve (organic and local whenever possible) to the take-away containers we use (made from 100% recycled plastic bottles). We are dedicated to conducting business in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. Our business and personal philosophy is protective of the environment and mindful of the impact it has on the lives of our community.
Hawai’i is an island state. Nowhere should the lessons of sustainability be more obvious or more necessary than on an island. Yet, as evidenced by current indicators of the health of Hawai’i’s population such as adult and childhood obesity rates, rates of type 2 diabetes and heart disease, as well as our environment, lessons of cultural and ecological stewardship of the past have been neglected.
Agriculture in Hawai’i has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past twenty years. Between 1997 and 2007, 317,742 acres of prime agricultural land came out of production, a decrease of nearly 8% (Hawai’i Bureau of Agriculture and USDA 2012). Over 90% of Hawai’i’s food is now imported (Leung, et al., 2008) – a situation that is unconscionable in the face of rising fossil fuel costs and an ever-increasing carbon footprint.
Our goal is to be a leader in the “Sustainability” movement, and our path consists of:
- A commitment to reduce our impacts to air, water, and soil, to reduce our generation of solid waste, and to limit our consumption/intake of goods and raw materials.
- A commitment to procure ingredients from local farmers whenever possible, starting with farms in our own community from which to purchase first, and branching out from there.
- We commit to using only post-consumer recycled products and/or 100% recyclable and compostable containers in areas where facilities exist.
- Our carbon footprint and impact to our earth will be evaluated when business decisions are being considered.
- Maintaining open lines of communication with our employees, neighbors, regulators, and those impacted by our business will remain a priority.
- A commitment to not only comply with applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations, but to go beyond what is minimally necessary to ensure a healthy future for our children.
If you have any questions about our efforts to be a responsible business, please contact us. Thank you!